Tuesday 13 September 2011

Day 1: I'm here!

Welcome to the rantings of a humble American trying not to get lost while training in the UK. You'll have to forgive any typos/grammatical errors, I am going on about 10 hours of sleep for the last 3 days or so (it's hard to count days when you go from 7 pm to 7am in 7 hours).

To bring you up to speed, I'm in Bristol for the first week of my training with VCA  that's the vehicle certification agency, a part of the British Gov't that I happen to work for). I start all of that tomorrow, so today I'm just settling into the hotel, hopefully catching up on sleep tonight so I won't be too jetlagged when I start at 6:45 tomorrow morning. But how did I get here?

Well I'll tell you. I got on an airplane in Detroit yesterday at about 6:15, had some excitement on the way there with an accident at 94 and 23 that held us up for about 40 mins. Thankfully there was no security line at Detroit Metro so I got to the gate with plenty of time. The flight was your standard overnight, transatlantic deal, though work upgraded me to economy comfort, which gets you an extra 4 inches of leg room and a bit more reclining. Oh, that and free booze, which helped me get a couple hours of sleep on the plane. Unfortunately I ordered red wine and proceeded to knock it over onto my pants, pillow and the floor. Oops.

After landing at Heathrow, I had to wait through about half a mile of customs lines which took an hour or so. Eventually I made it to the Hertz rent-a-car lot and hopped in the ford focus that was waiting for me. Driving on the wrong side of the road really wasn't bad at all. The thing I had to think about the most was staying centered in the lane, becuase sitting on the right side of the car makes you forget that most of the car is to your left, not right. I got used to it pretty quickly.

I'm falling asleep as I write this, so I think I'm going to take a 15 minutes power nap and then check out the area and snap some pictures (some will end up here eventually)

Until next time,
Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment